Friday

All UR builds R belong to Linden

I wish I could say this was a surprise, but it isn't. On the newly revised Terms of Service Linden Labs has made a grab for the IP of things uploaded or built in Second Life

Except as otherwise described in any Additional Terms (such as a contest’s official rules) which will govern the submission of your User Content, you hereby grant to Linden Lab, and you agree to grant to Linden Lab, the non-exclusive, unrestricted, unconditional, unlimited, worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual, and cost-free right and license to use, copy, record, distribute, reproduce, disclose, sell, re-sell, sublicense (through multiple levels), modify, display, publicly perform, transmit, publish, broadcast, translate, make derivative works of, and otherwise exploit in any manner whatsoever, all or any portion of your User Content (and derivative works thereof), for any purpose whatsoever in all formats, on or through any media, software, formula, or medium now known or hereafter developed, and with any technology or devices now known or hereafter developed, and to advertise, market, and promote the same. 
ORLY ?

I don't think they can legally enforce this draconian TOS. HP has never told me they own any documents I printed on their printers. IBM and Apple have never tried to own what I produced with their personal computers. One would imagine that if it was as easy as what Linden is doing they would have tried already...

But the sad part is that the small builder, the struggling artist the independent musician can not afford a legal battle with Linden Labs and will have to just accept it. So for all intents and purposes, it is mandatory. I sure wish there was a place to complain about it though. This hits me as a very draconian and inherently dishonest, predatory practice.

Boy am I glad I gave up my sim. I'd rather give away all my content for free to Opensim users than let a multi million dollar company rip me off of my IP. At least it is MY decision and I'm the one getting the thank you notes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home